Today’s recipe is easy to prepare, feeds a LOT of people, serves up great for a buffet, and is super yummy and comforting. It’s one of my favorite meals to prepare!
Named for a city in Spain’s Costa del Sol region, CHICKEN MARBELLA combines all of the color, freshness and flavor of rustic Mediterranean cuisine.
Enjoy this dish with some hot, crusty bread and a fresh, crisp salad adorned with almonds, red onion, orange segments and a drizzle of olive oil and squeeze of lemon.
Serve it on the terrace by candlelight with some Julio Iglesias playing, or go classical with Plácido Domingo and José Carreras.
- 4 lbs. chicken thighs
- 1 head garlic minced
- 1/2 cup dried oregano
- 1 pinch salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup EVOO
- 1 cup pitted prunes
- 1/2 cup green Spanish olives pitted, with or without pimientos
- 1/2 cup capers
- 5 bay leaves
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup white wine
- 1/4 cup Italian parsley chopped
- 3 tbsp slivered almonds
- Combine garlic, oregano, salt and pepper, red wine vinegar, EVOO, prunes, olives, capers (including about half of the brine) and bay leaves in large marinating bag or container. Add chicken pieces and toss.
- Marinate overnight in the refrigerator, turning occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 350
- Place chicken pieces in a single layer in a shallow baking dish (two 9x13 baking dishes work well if serving for 8). Spoon marinade evenly over chicken.
- Sprinkle brown sugar over and pour wine around the chicken.
- Roast for 50-60 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove chicken pieces, placing on a serving dish. Top with the roasted olives, prunes and capers, and moisten with roasting sauce.
- Garnish with parsley and slivered almonds.
- Pass remaining sauce in gravy bowl.